Dienstag, 21. Juni 2016

Falling up the Stairs (11) - Trying my luck with Warrior Decks... yet again.

I suppose that's true with everybody - there are some some classes you just can't play well in Hearthstone. Whether it's lack of cards or just not having the mindset necessary.

For me, Warrior is one. I can easily get behind the concept of full-on aggro of a Zoo Hunter or Warlock, or the control powers of Magician or Warlock, or the powerful minions of Shaman and Druid. I have issues with making Paladin and Priest work. And don't ask me about Rogue, I can't play that except in premade-deck Tavern Brawls. I mean, I can play it, but I can't really win reliably.

Warrior, even though omitted in the above list, has been particular frustrating. It always felt like it should work, it's not like there was an obvious misbalance in the decks I made... but it just wouldn't work to any satsifiable degree.

It doesn't help when the arguably strongest Warrior Deck at the time is also fittingly labelled "Wallet Warrior". Recently, through an article over at Mana Crystals, I came across a Warrior Deck that gave me another one of those "You know... I kinda have the cards for that..." moments. Read all about it after the break!
Feno's Pirate Warrior (the Original)
2x N'Zoth's First Mate
2x Upgrade
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Heroic Strike
2x Bloodsail Cultist
2x Frothing Berserker
2x Kor'kron Elite
2x Mortal Strike
2x Arcanite Reaper
Sir Finley Mrrglton
2x South Sea Deckhand
2x Bloodsail Raider
2x Flame Juggler
2x Argent Horserider
2x Dread Corsair
Leeroy Jenkins

I like this deck A LOT. It's cheap (about 1/5 of the Wallet Warrior, really budget) and aggressive. This is what I'd call an actual "Tempo" Warrior. Originally, I was 11 cards short of that exact build, with 6 of those being easy to fix (aka crafting commons), 4 being more problematic, and 1 being beyond likely. Here's the build I currently settled on:

Beneath The Black Flag
2x N'Zoth's First Mate
Upgrade
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Heroic Strike
Bash
Blood Sail Cultist
Frothing Berserker
2x Fierce Monkey
2x Kor'Kron Elite
Mortal Strike
2x Arcanite Reaper
Bloodsail Corsair
Sir Finley Mrrglton
2x Southsea Deckhand
2x Bloodsail Raider
2x Flame Juggler
2x Argent Horserider
2x Dread Corsair
*Goblin Crotchrocket (The 5/2 w/ Charge for 6)

Overall Idea: Strike first and hard. Face is where your goal is.
Version Notes: Before I ended up with this version, I had some replacements that can still be considered, thought the sacrifice the Pirate Theme (which only matter for the Bloodsail Cultist). Wolf Riders can be subbed in for Argent Horseriders. Bash can take the place of Mortal Strike. If you're not keen on the Dread Corsair, the Fierce Monkey is a good bet. It's in here because it shares the same Mana Slot as the missing Bloodsail Corsair and Berserker. The Goblin Rocketeer fulfills the same role as Leeroy Jenkins, but might be replaced with any more expensive, powerful charger. I once had a Bloodhoof Brave since he cost as much as the missing Mortal Strike, but he just does very different things from the rest of the deck.
Upcoming Changes: At the very least, I want another Upgrade to switch in for the Bloodsail Corsair - and I already put that guy in to swap out a cursed blade, which was to risky even for me. Another Bloodsail Cultist would be preferable. Another Mortal Strike would be gravy, but - Bash is a sensible substitute, so it's less necessary. Until those happen, though, the BS Corsair might become almost anything... he's weapon meta, so that's good in it's own right, but he could also be a Charge! to fling those Bloodsail Raiders across. That spell might be a sensible way at any rate. Also, in terms of bigger chargers... Skycap'n Kragg would be very thematically fitting, though probably not the best choice.

In summary: I love this deck, from the fact that it's that cheap to the way it plays. Plain good old aggression. Just kill their Hero by turn 7. I also love that it's not dependent on it's Hero Ability so Turn 1 Finley is go! (Pray to RNGesus for Shapechange!) In casual games my win rate is currently really high, about 70%, though we all know that doesn't mean much. I'm still wondering whether I should do ladder business this month with this deck or with my Magician deck... Maybe you guys can leave a comment with your recommendation!

Thanks for reading, and remember:
It's all fun and games until somebody runs out of cards.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen